It can be hard to have it all together all time. It's also easy to slip into turmoil and frustration. It leaves you worn out, wrecked and uninspired. Yet creating is the thing that you want to do but you feel everything you make just sounds like crap. Here are five things I've found to help turn things around. I'm a long way from mastering these but they definitely help;
1. Sleep: Yes sleep. You need it. It gives your body time to repair itself and you'll feel a million bucks after you have it. It's not easy to get the sleep you need when you work a day job and only have your evenings to do what is you love, but it is critical. It's going to take some time to get where your going anyway so you might as well make sure your prep'd and ready to go.
2. Small goal: Set some small achievable goals each day they can be both creative and non creative. That way you can tick them off when the day is done and you'll feel like you've had a productive day. It will help quiet your mind at night and improve to ability to live out tip 1.
3. Exercise: Every bit helps. Your body is actually designed to be out there moving around. I'm not saying run everyday, or do a triathlon. Even a brisk walk once a day even in your lunch time helps.
4. Present: No not present as in, wow look at this shiny new toy, but present as in the moment. It's amazing how distracted you are even when you think you're focused on something. BY just fully committing to each and every task you are doing you will give yourself a way to be in the moment. You really cant change the past so what's the point in holding on to it and the future is only decided by what's happening now so why waste your time dwelling on it. Sure have a direction and a master plan but don't hang on to it so tight you strangle it.
5. Conscious: Be aware of what your mind is saying to you. It’s probably spitting 1000’s upon 1000’s of useless phrases each day. You control it. It doesn’t control you.
None of these are easy things to master. It’s bloody hard to be honest, but by just making an effort you’ll feel a change. The trick is to not slip into old behaviors. Be prepared to do some work and for it to take some time before you see real change.
Here are some sites from some people who know what they’re talking about.